History: What Happened Today?
- In 1777, retired British cavalry officer, Phillip Astley, established the first modern circus.
- In 1862, the United States govenment collected income tax for the first time.
- In 1922, female First baseman, Lizzie Murphy, played on the AL all-star team.
- In 1936, Jesse Owens wins his second of four gold metals in the long jump at the Summer Olympics in Berlin, Germany.
- In 1974, President Jimmy Carter signed a bill establishing the Department of Energy.
- Famous Birthdays: President Barack Obama, Louis Armstrong (jazz musician), Percy Bysshe Shelley (English poet), Raoul Wallenberg (humanitarian), Dylan & Cole Sprouse (actors)
For famous birthdays and other daily events in history, visit our Daily Dose Activities.