History: What Happened Today?
- In 1789, Congress establised the United States Treasury Department.
- In 1930, the first non-stop airplane flies from Europe to US in 37 hours.
- In 1936, the first transatlantic round-trip air flight took place.
- In 1952, Dr Floyd J. Lewis uses deep freeze technique in heart surgery for the first time.
- In 1978, Graham Salmon set the worlds record for running the 100 meters dash by a blind man.
- Famous Birthdays: Liliuokalani, [Lydia Paki], last queen of Hawaii (1891-93) , Dorothy May Bundy-Cheney, winner of more than 141 US tennis titles , Sharon Christa Corrigan McAuliffe, teacher/astronaut (STS 25) , Lennox Lewis, WBC boxing champ , Katie Teft, Grand Rapids Mich, gymnast (Olympics-96)
For famous birthdays and other daily events in history, visit our Daily Dose Activities.