Using Context Clues
Links verified on 3/21/2012
- Antonym Clues - [10 multiple-choice questions] determine the definitions of unfamiliar words in context by using antonym clues
- Context Clues - Quia quiz
- Context Clues - 30 to choose from, beginner to advanced
- Context Clues - [20 multiple-choice questions] lab activity to determine the definitions of unfamiliar words by using context clues
- Direct Definition Context Clues - A lesson in remembering which clue words help interpret the text. Seven key words are introduced and examples are shown of each to clarify what to look for when dealing with context clues. A very good review lesson for 3rd and up.
- Direct Context Clues Teaching Material - Here you will find a review lesson and worksheets to go along with the lesson as well as flash cards to review clue words that will help in interpreting text.
- General Context - [10 multiple-choice questions] lab activity to determine a definition of an unfamiliar word in the context of the general sense of the passage
- Guessing Vocabulary in Context - ten multiple-choice questions, immediate grading
- Guessing Vocabulary in Context - 2 - ten more multiple choice questions
- Inferential Context Clues - Some students get upset when the teacher states, "The answer is right there!" This site reviews how clues appear where the meaning is hidden in the rest of the words in the sentence. An brief interactive quiz helps assure understanding.
- Making Inferences Using a Concept Map - [3 multiple-choice questions] use details to make accurate inferences when reading textbooks
- Synonym Clues - [10 multiple-choice questions] lab activity to determine the definitions of unfamiliar words in context by using synonym clues
- Using a Glossary - [10 multiple-choice questions] a lab activity to recognize and use the definitions in a glossary as they relate to a text
- Using the Dictionary - [20 multiple-choice questions] a lab to use the dictionary to understand the meanings of words in context
- Vocabulary Skills Lab Activity - [20 multiple-choice questions] use context clues and word parts to determine the meaning of unfamiliar words in a textbook selection
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print